Things your stylist doesn’t tell you about bleaching your hair..
- Your hair will feel like the Sahara Dessert! When you bleach your hair, you are opening up the cuticle to allow oxidation, and during this process you are stripping your hair of essential oils to keep your hair hydrated. After the bleaching progress, your cuticle doesn’t fully close, which allows any moisture to slip from your hair.
- The texture of your hair will become a wild beast. Bleaching your hair strips every last bit of moisture, leaving your hair dry, brittle and inelastic, causing it to react in new ways. If your hair was curly, it may react more of an afro; if it was straight, it may now look frizzy. Everyone’s hair reacts a little differently, but one thing we can tell you is that it will never be the same.
- Bleaching your hair will be the biggest commitment of your life. Once you bleach your hair, there is no turning back. Welcome to the high maintenance club, blondie! After you have lightened your hair, the only way to remove the damage is to let your hair grow out, then cut the bleached sections. There is no such thing as “dying it back.” Once you’ve become apart of the blonde club, there’s no more taking the easy way out!
Don’t worry though! There are tons of products out there that will help keep your new locks moisturized. Below we have listed some of our favorite products to keep your hair hydrated, get repaired and keep your blonde well, blonde!
Shampoos and Conditioners
- Paul Mitchell Forever Blonde is powered by exclusive KerActive protein and safflower oleosomes. This hugs each strand of hair hydrating and repairing as it goes. [Available in store only]
- Alterna Brightening Blonde Conditioner has golden micro-prisms that improve the appearance of natural or color treated blonde hair.
- Pureology Perfect 4 Platinum Shampoo strengthens while cleanses and softens your blonde locks. It also enhances brightness and shine. It helps with color retention on high-lift hair.
- Redken Blonde Idol Shampoo is made with the exclusive Kera-Bright System balances, brightens and beautifies to keep your blonde brilliant and idol-worthy between salon visits
Hair turning yellow/brassy? Try a purple shampoo..
Purple shampoos remove yellow/brassy tones from your hair because, if you think back to third grade art class, purple and yellow are opposite on the color wheel. Complementary colors neutralize each other. So, when you wash your hair with a very pigmented purple shampoo, it deposits small amounts of purple into your hair. Those deposits will minimize the appearance of yellow and warm tones and bring out the more blue and cool tones.
- It’s a 10 5 Minute Repair for Blondes is formula is designed specifically to boost blonde hair by adding radiant shine and increased silkiness, while protecting from heat and UV rays.
- Muk Toning 1 Minute Treatment will reduce brassy, yellow tones in blonde hair while deeply nourishing and detangling hair. It also restores hair elasticity and strengthens hair internally. It is suitable for all hair types, including blonde, grey and white hair. [Available in store only]
Leave in Conditioners
- It’s a 10 Miracle Spray for Blondes
- Paul Mitchell Dramatic Repair [Available in store only]
- Redken BBB Spray
Each of these leave in conditioners has been made with blondes in mind. They help strengthen, soften and repair damage.
- Moroccanoil Oil Treatment Light [Available in store only]
Stop into your local Beauty Plus Salon to talk to a Beauty Advisor about which blonde products are best for your hair or shop online at www.beautyplussalon.com